Afghan parliament building to be ready by Dec: CPWD
New Delhi: Afghanistan`s parliament building being structured by the Central Public Works Department, is likely to be ready by December next year, a top CPWD official on Thursday said.
"The Afghan Parliament building is expected to be complete by December 2013," Rakesh Mishra, Special DG, CPWD told reporters here.
"Its design is based on the religious philosophy of the Afghan people. There are four sections - the lower house, the upper house, administrative section and an entrance block. Some very high domes are there covered with copper sheets. It will be a landmark structure," he said.
Mishra said while the entire cost of the building was estimated to be around Rs 700 crore, work to the tune of Rs 400 crore had been completed.
Based on the choice of the Afghan people `samangam` stone, a kind of marble found locally would be used for external finishing of the building, CPWD chief S K Mittal said.
CPWD officials said that a full team of their officers were working on the project though the conditions were tough climate wise as well as from other viewpoints.
"Our officers have experience of working on the borders, so they can handle tough conditions," Mishra said.
The officials said CPWD was also working actively in the construction of high altitude roads on the country`s borders with china.
The construction of high altitude roads on the China border in the states of Sikkim and Uttarakhand is expected to be complete by October 2013, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming