Afghan Parliament vote could be delayed: McCain
Kabul: Visiting US Republican senator John McCain said on Thursday that a Parliamentary Election in Afghanistan due in May could be delayed by up to three months.
Afghanistan`s Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has said the poll will go ahead on May 22, in accordance with the Constitution, despite concerns it will be plagued by corruption and logistical problems.
But Western diplomats in Kabul have said they doubt Afghan authorities will be able to eradicate the problems that turned last August`s Presidential Election into a ballot-stuffing farce.
Nor are they likely to have the necessary funds to hold a nationwide ballot.
The United Nations, which has not yet received a request for funding, has said it would need to see evidence of significant reform before agreeing to release money to stage the election.
The last Parliamentary Election was in September 2005 and the IEC has said the next poll must be held a maximum 30 days before the end of the legislative cycle which ends on June 22.
McCain, speaking to reporters at the end of a brief visit to Afghanistan, said the authorities are considering a delay.
"I know there are discussions, part of it is perhaps a two or three months delay in order to get the mechanisms in place," said McCain, who met with President Hamid Karzai during his visit
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video