Islamabad: Former military ruler Pervez Musharraf has alleged that India is being accorded space in the Afghan peace process at the cost of Pakistan.
“Any result of a peace process in favour of India would not be acceptable to Pakistan and the United States must understand this,” Musharraf said in an exclusive video link interview with Express 24/7.
He also said that Pakistan must use all media sources, internal and external, to project Pakistan’s interests and reasoning in Afghanistan.
The former president also reminded the US that it was the Pakistan Army that had conducted a successful operation in Swat against the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
Musharraf said that Pakistan’s greatest desire was a stable and peaceful Afghanistan, for which Islamabad was supporting Burhanuddin Rabbani-led Afghan peace talks.
Former Afghan President Rabbani, who had been tasked with trying to negotiate a political end to the war in Afghanistan, was killed on September 20 by a suicide bomber who was supposedly a peace emissary sent by the Taliban leadership.
“Paksitan will be the loser if there is no peace and stability in Afghanistan,” said Musharraf.
The All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) chief was of the opinion that Pakistan and Afghanistan needs to talk to all those factions of Taliban that seek peace.
The former president categorically rejected allegations that he, in a deal with the then Bush-led US government, had allowed drone strikes in Pakistan, saying that only logistical support for unarmed drones had been extended.
He mocked the current Pakistan government, saying: “If there was an agreement between me and the US, ok if there was, but why has the new government gone ahead and broken this agreement?”
Musharraf went on to say that during his time in office, there had been a total of nine drone strikes, while these had exponentially increased during the term of the current government.