Islamabad: The Taliban, rejecting a statement of the Pakistani envoy in Kabul, wherein he had said the Taliban were allowed to go to Qatar for peace talks, said the peace talks were not started on the directions of Pakistan.
"We have said earlier that Taliban representatives never proceeded to Qatar because Pakistan told them to do so, as the ambassador in an interview with Reuters had said," the Daily Times quoted Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, as saying.
"Afghanistan started peace talks in its national interest and on the wishes of the leadership of Taliban, and then suspended the talks when the leadership wished so," he said, adding that Pakistani Ambassador Muhammad Sadiq must have lacked knowledge in that connection.
In the fresh message, the Taliban reiterated that the talks were held for forwarding the confidence-building measures that had to be followed by peace talks. However, he did not rule out the possibility of resumption of the talks.
First Published: Friday, June 29, 2012, 14:55