Afghan police recover bodies of 8 security troops
Kabul: Afghan security forces have recovered
the bodies of five policemen and three intelligence agents who
were kidnapped by insurgents two days ago in eastern
Afghanistan, an official said on Saturday.
Gunmen abducted the eight security troops on Thursday in
the Day Mirdad district of Wardak province, said provincial
spokesman Shahidullah Shahid.
The bodies were discovered late Friday and taken to the
provincial capital city of Maidan Shahr early Saturday, Shahid
said. He added that three suspected insurgents have been
arrested in connection with the kidnapping and killings.
Wardak province has been the scene of heavy fighting
between international troops and the Taliban. It was also in
Wardak that insurgents shot down the US Army Chinook early
this month, killing 30 American troops, seven Afghan soldiers
and an Afghan interpreter.
In the south, a minivan struck a roadside bomb in the
Gereshk district of Helmand province, killing five civilians,
the provincial governor`s office said in a statement.
In July, the United Nations reported that 1,462 civilians
were killed in the first six months of this year with
insurgents responsible for 80 percent of those killings.
Roadside bombs and mines are the cause of most
war-related civilian deaths in Afghanistan, according to the
In the west, meanwhile, two policemen and four insurgents
were killed in shootout in Herat province, said Noor Khan
Nikzad, a spokesman for the provincial police chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS