Afghan police thwart would-be suicide squad: Govt
Kabul: Afghan security forces shot dead five men wearing suicide vests and armed with guns as they tried to storm government buildings and a bazaar in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, the government said.
Militants in Afghanistan`s long insurgency have increasingly mounted coordinated suicide bomb attacks in their attempt to destabilise the Western-backed government.
In the most recent attack, 35 people including police officers and civilians were killed on Saturday in multiple suicide bomb attacks in Kandahar, the southern birthplace of the Taliban movement.
Monday`s thwarted attack in the town of Barmal, on the Pakistan border in Paktika province, appeared to be a similarly coordinated attempt to reach several targets at once, the Interior Ministry said.
"The suicide bombers, who were also armed with different types of guns... were killed before reaching their targets," it said in a statement.
Three of the bombers were shot dead "after they were identified" and two others briefly exchanged fire with police before they were killed, it said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for Saturday`s attack in Kandahar, saying it was a pre-emptive response to plans led by the US military to take the war to the militants in Kandahar.
A massive campaign is currently under way in neighbouring Helmand province which will serve as a template for the counter-insurgency strategy that is set to move to Kandahar in coming months, military planners say.
The Taliban have been waging an insurgency against Afghanistan`s government since their own regime was overthrown in a 2001 US-led invasion.
There are about 120,000 foreign NATO and US troops stationed in Afghanistan to help Kabul defeat the Taliban.
NATO`s International Security Assistance Force said Monday that a soldier had been killed in a vehicle accident on Sunday, bringing to 123 the number of foreign troops who have died in the country this year, according to a tally based on that kept by the icasualties.org website.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata