Afghan police thwart would-be suicide squad: Govt
Kabul: Afghan security forces shot dead five men wearing suicide vests and armed with guns as they tried to storm government buildings and a bazaar in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, the government said.
Militants in Afghanistan`s long insurgency have increasingly mounted coordinated suicide bomb attacks in their attempt to destabilise the Western-backed government.
In the most recent attack, 35 people including police officers and civilians were killed on Saturday in multiple suicide bomb attacks in Kandahar, the southern birthplace of the Taliban movement.
Monday`s thwarted attack in the town of Barmal, on the Pakistan border in Paktika province, appeared to be a similarly coordinated attempt to reach several targets at once, the Interior Ministry said.
"The suicide bombers, who were also armed with different types of guns... were killed before reaching their targets," it said in a statement.
Three of the bombers were shot dead "after they were identified" and two others briefly exchanged fire with police before they were killed, it said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for Saturday`s attack in Kandahar, saying it was a pre-emptive response to plans led by the US military to take the war to the militants in Kandahar.
A massive campaign is currently under way in neighbouring Helmand province which will serve as a template for the counter-insurgency strategy that is set to move to Kandahar in coming months, military planners say.
The Taliban have been waging an insurgency against Afghanistan`s government since their own regime was overthrown in a 2001 US-led invasion.
There are about 120,000 foreign NATO and US troops stationed in Afghanistan to help Kabul defeat the Taliban.
NATO`s International Security Assistance Force said Monday that a soldier had been killed in a vehicle accident on Sunday, bringing to 123 the number of foreign troops who have died in the country this year, according to a tally based on that kept by the icasualties.org website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe