Afghan polls turnout resounding rejection of terrorist designs: India
New Delhi: India Saturday saluted the people of Afghanistan and its security forces for the huge turnout in the presidential elections, terming it a "resounding rejection" by people "of the designs and ideology of terrorists and their supporters".
In a statement, the external affairs ministry spokesperson said that "India will continue to work to support the people of Afghanistan in their efforts to build a strong, independent, sovereign and democratic Afghanistan".
"Afghanistan voted today to choose a succesor to President Karzai who has guided Afghanistan with great wisdom and statesmanship since 2001.
"We salute the people of Afghanistan who turned out in such great numbers to exercise their franchise today despite the threat of violence and intimidation from terrorists and those who do not wish to see a strong democratic and sovereign Afghanistan.
India also "salutes the Afghan security forces who have worked tirelessly and made great sacrifices, to make this day possible".
"This democratic expression of the will of the people of Afghanistan is a resounding rejection of the designs and ideology of terrorists and their supporters who continued to pursue their nefarious goals till the last day of campaigning.
"Today the Afghan people, including its women and youth have spoken in loud and clear terms. This is an important message that everyone should listen to. India will continue to work to support the people of Afghanistan in their efforts to build a strong, independent, sovereign and democratic Afghanistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?