Afghan President bans fertiliser used in bombs
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai has banned the sale and possession of ammonium nitrate fertiliser, which is used by Islamist insurgents to make deadly homemade bombs, a statement said on Friday.
"Import, production, possession, use, purchase and sale of ammonium nitrate fertiliser is banned," the President`s decree said.
The substance is intended for agricultural use and widely available, but it is a key ingredient in improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the Taliban weapon of choice in the worsening insurgency.
"Based on investigations by security forces, terrorists widely use the fertiliser in making explosives. To avoid such terrorist actions any use of this substance will (result in) judicial prosecution," the statement said.
The militants waging a bloody insurgency against the Afghan government and international forces use widely available materials to make deadly suicide vests, car bombs and roadside bombs.
The decree said anyone in possession of the fertiliser must hand it over to branches of the Ministry of Agriculture within one month.
The Interior and Finance Ministries will train police and customs employees to detect, recognise and seize the chemical, while the National Security Council will oversee the implementation of the decree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray