Afghan President bans fertiliser used in bombs
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai has banned the sale and possession of ammonium nitrate fertiliser, which is used by Islamist insurgents to make deadly homemade bombs, a statement said on Friday.
"Import, production, possession, use, purchase and sale of ammonium nitrate fertiliser is banned," the President`s decree said.
The substance is intended for agricultural use and widely available, but it is a key ingredient in improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the Taliban weapon of choice in the worsening insurgency.
"Based on investigations by security forces, terrorists widely use the fertiliser in making explosives. To avoid such terrorist actions any use of this substance will (result in) judicial prosecution," the statement said.
The militants waging a bloody insurgency against the Afghan government and international forces use widely available materials to make deadly suicide vests, car bombs and roadside bombs.
The decree said anyone in possession of the fertiliser must hand it over to branches of the Ministry of Agriculture within one month.
The Interior and Finance Ministries will train police and customs employees to detect, recognise and seize the chemical, while the National Security Council will oversee the implementation of the decree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!