Afghan President bans fertiliser used in bombs
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai has banned the sale and possession of ammonium nitrate fertiliser, which is used by Islamist insurgents to make deadly homemade bombs, a statement said on Friday.
"Import, production, possession, use, purchase and sale of ammonium nitrate fertiliser is banned," the President`s decree said.
The substance is intended for agricultural use and widely available, but it is a key ingredient in improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the Taliban weapon of choice in the worsening insurgency.
"Based on investigations by security forces, terrorists widely use the fertiliser in making explosives. To avoid such terrorist actions any use of this substance will (result in) judicial prosecution," the statement said.
The militants waging a bloody insurgency against the Afghan government and international forces use widely available materials to make deadly suicide vests, car bombs and roadside bombs.
The decree said anyone in possession of the fertiliser must hand it over to branches of the Ministry of Agriculture within one month.
The Interior and Finance Ministries will train police and customs employees to detect, recognise and seize the chemical, while the National Security Council will oversee the implementation of the decree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP