Afghan President bans fertiliser used in bombs
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai has banned the sale and possession of ammonium nitrate fertiliser, which is used by Islamist insurgents to make deadly homemade bombs, a statement said on Friday.
"Import, production, possession, use, purchase and sale of ammonium nitrate fertiliser is banned," the President`s decree said.
The substance is intended for agricultural use and widely available, but it is a key ingredient in improvised explosive devices (IEDs), the Taliban weapon of choice in the worsening insurgency.
"Based on investigations by security forces, terrorists widely use the fertiliser in making explosives. To avoid such terrorist actions any use of this substance will (result in) judicial prosecution," the statement said.
The militants waging a bloody insurgency against the Afghan government and international forces use widely available materials to make deadly suicide vests, car bombs and roadside bombs.
The decree said anyone in possession of the fertiliser must hand it over to branches of the Ministry of Agriculture within one month.
The Interior and Finance Ministries will train police and customs employees to detect, recognise and seize the chemical, while the National Security Council will oversee the implementation of the decree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org