Afghan President pardons imprisoned rape victim
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai is pardoning an Afghan woman serving a 12-year prison sentence for having sex out of wedlock after she was raped by a relative.
Karzai`s office also said the woman and her attacker agreed to marry. That would reverse an earlier decision by the woman, who had previously refused a judge`s offer of freedom if she agreed to wed the rapist.
Thursday`s statement says Karzai decided to forgive the rest of the woman`s sentence after hearing from judicial officials. It`s not clear how much time the woman has served.
Her plight was highlighted in a documentary blocked by the European Union because it feared the women profiled would be endangered by its release.
More than 5,000 people signed a petition urging Karzai to release her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan