Afghan President pardons imprisoned rape victim
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai is pardoning an Afghan woman serving a 12-year prison sentence for having sex out of wedlock after she was raped by a relative.
Karzai`s office also said the woman and her attacker agreed to marry. That would reverse an earlier decision by the woman, who had previously refused a judge`s offer of freedom if she agreed to wed the rapist.
Thursday`s statement says Karzai decided to forgive the rest of the woman`s sentence after hearing from judicial officials. It`s not clear how much time the woman has served.
Her plight was highlighted in a documentary blocked by the European Union because it feared the women profiled would be endangered by its release.
More than 5,000 people signed a petition urging Karzai to release her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof