Afghan President pardons imprisoned rape victim
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai is pardoning an Afghan woman serving a 12-year prison sentence for having sex out of wedlock after she was raped by a relative.
Karzai`s office also said the woman and her attacker agreed to marry. That would reverse an earlier decision by the woman, who had previously refused a judge`s offer of freedom if she agreed to wed the rapist.
Thursday`s statement says Karzai decided to forgive the rest of the woman`s sentence after hearing from judicial officials. It`s not clear how much time the woman has served.
Her plight was highlighted in a documentary blocked by the European Union because it feared the women profiled would be endangered by its release.
More than 5,000 people signed a petition urging Karzai to release her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Sensex zooms over 550 points, Nifty reclaims 7,900-mark
- WATCH | Midnight drama: What happened when guys, police saw bride standing alone on road in Noida
- Bajaj Pulsar cs400 spotted testing again; launching soon
- Mars once hosted habitable environments, reveals study!
- Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq placed under house arrest in Srinagar