Afghan Prez pre-conditions peace for signing security pact with US
Beijing: Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Thursday put pre-conditions for inking the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) with the United States, saying one of conditions is to ensure durable peace in the militancy-plagued country.
"For signing the security agreements with the United States we have pre-conditions and the first pre-condition is to bring about security in Afghanistan," the President told a ceremony held here to mark the 80th anniversary of the Kabul University foundation.
The other pre-conditions for signing the accord are training and fully equipping the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and helping Afghanistan to uphold its economy, the leader said.
"The US is seeking its own benefit before the inking of the agreement but Afghanistan is also seeking its benefit. Afghan forces must be strengthen, they must be equip and strong. The Afghanistan economy must be uphold and strong. Afghanistan must have a strong government," Karzai said.
Karzai also said the United States is requiring Afghanistan to set up nine military bases across the country.
Negotiations between US and Afghan governments on security agreements started late last year.
Karzai added that Afghanistan would keep on balanced relations with other nations and allay the possible concerns of the neighbours.
The controversial agreement of BSA, if signed, would guarantee the presence of US military at least for several years in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video