Afghan Prez pre-conditions peace for signing security pact with US
Beijing: Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Thursday put pre-conditions for inking the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) with the United States, saying one of conditions is to ensure durable peace in the militancy-plagued country.
"For signing the security agreements with the United States we have pre-conditions and the first pre-condition is to bring about security in Afghanistan," the President told a ceremony held here to mark the 80th anniversary of the Kabul University foundation.
The other pre-conditions for signing the accord are training and fully equipping the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and helping Afghanistan to uphold its economy, the leader said.
"The US is seeking its own benefit before the inking of the agreement but Afghanistan is also seeking its benefit. Afghan forces must be strengthen, they must be equip and strong. The Afghanistan economy must be uphold and strong. Afghanistan must have a strong government," Karzai said.
Karzai also said the United States is requiring Afghanistan to set up nine military bases across the country.
Negotiations between US and Afghan governments on security agreements started late last year.
Karzai added that Afghanistan would keep on balanced relations with other nations and allay the possible concerns of the neighbours.
The controversial agreement of BSA, if signed, would guarantee the presence of US military at least for several years in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal