Afghan prisoner at Guantanamo dies in apparent suicide
Miami: An Afghan prisoner died at the Guantanamo detention centre in a recreation yard in an apparent suicide, the US military said on Wednesday.
The prisoner, identified as Inayatullah, a 37-year-old accused of being a member of al Qaeda, was found dead by guards conducting routine checks at the facility.
"An investigation is under way to determine the exact circumstances of what happened," said Navy Commander Tamsen Reese, a spokeswoman at the Guantanamo Bay US Naval Base in Cuba.
The US military`s Southern Command said guards "found the detainee unresponsive and not breathing”, according to a statement. "After extensive lifesaving measures had been exhausted, the detainee was pronounced dead by a physician."
Inayatullah is the eighth prisoner to die at the detention centre since the United States began sending foreign captives with suspected al Qaeda or Taliban links to Guantanamo Bay in January 2002.
Five others died of apparent suicides and two died of natural causes.
Inayatullah was one of the last captives sent to Guantanamo, where the last publicly announced detainee arrival was in March 2008.
The prison camp has held 779 foreign captives since the United States invaded Afghanistan to oust al Qaeda and its Taliban protectors following the September 11, 2001 attacks. It now holds 171.
In March, President Barack Obama lifted a two-year freeze on new military trials at Guantanamo Bay and suggested the US Congress was hurting American national security by blocking his attempts to move some trials into US civilian courts.
Obama had tried and failed to overcome objections by Republicans and some of his fellow Democrats in Congress to transfer some detainees to US prisons.
The Naval Criminal Investigative Service will conduct an investigation after an autopsy by a military pathologist, the military said. Inayatullah`s body will then be prepared for repatriation.
In the statement, the military said Inayatullah admitted to being a planner for al Qaeda`s terrorist operations and helped to coordinate documentation, accommodations and vehicles to smuggle al Qaeda fighters through Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Iraq.
Cuba has repeatedly criticised the Guantanamo base, saying it is an illegal enclave on its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City