Afghan probe says five civilians killed in NATO raid
Kabul: A probe by Afghan officials has
concluded that five people killed by NATO-led troops in a raid
in northern Afghanistan this week were civilians, President
Hamid Karzai`s office said.
The deaths came during a raid in Sari Pul province in
northern Afghanistan on Monday.
The local provincial governor said at the time that
those killed were civilians, but the NATO-led International
Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said they were insurgents.
Karzai then ordered an investigation by provincial
A spokesman for the International Security Assistance
Force said it could not immediately comment on the findings.
"The findings of this delegation, which is based on
meetings with villagers and statements by eyewitness says that
five civilians were killed," a statement from Karzai`s office
"The president of Afghanistan... strongly condemns the
killing of civilians in this operation and emphasises once
again that killing civilians will not help the fight against
terrorism but will hinder it."
The issue of civilian casualties in international
military operations is highly sensitive in Afghanistan,
exacerbating tensions between the Afghan government and its
There are around 130,000 foreign troops, two-thirds of
them American, deployed in Afghanistan to help Kabul fight the
Taliban and other insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested