Afghan quakes: ‘At least three dead’
Kabul: Two earthquakes in Afghanistan`s mountainous Hindu Kush region on Monday may have killed at least three people and destroyed many mud huts.
There is also a fear of many others trapped under the rubble, as per officials.
Rescue teams were on the way to Burka district in the northern province of Baghlan where around 20 houses were said to have collapsed.
As per a Baghlan provincial government spokesman, houses had been damaged in the three districts of Burka, Jelga, and Nehrin. There may be fear of casualties.
Houses were also said to have been destroyed in Ishkamish district.
The first earthquake, with a magnitude of 5.4, struck at 1030 IST with the epicentre around 160 kilometres southwest of the town of Faizabad.
The second earthquake hit around 25 minutes later in almost exactly the same place, with a magnitude of 5.6.
Northern Afghanistan and Pakistan are frequently hit by quakes, especially around the Hindu Kush range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened