Afghan security forces battle Kandahar insurgents for 2nd day
Kandahar: The death toll from a string of Taliban attacks on government buildings in the Afghan city of Kandahar has risen to four as militants held out into a second day on Sunday, officials said.
The violence in the Taliban`s birthplace started on Saturday at around 1:00 pm (0830 GMT) when militants with guns and rocket-propelled grenades attacked the governor`s office from nearby buildings.
It spread to sites including the local offices of the intelligence service and several police offices as a total of 10 explosions including six suicide blasts rocked the city. Nearly 50 people were also wounded in the violence.
The city`s streets were virtually empty of people on Sunday, a reporter said, and although the violence died down overnight, Taliban fighters are still occupying one traffic police building firing shots and rockets.
"It is a complicated building, that is why it has taken a while to clear up but soon we will clear the building of the enemy," said Kandahar border police commander General Abdul Razeq, in charge of the clearing operation.
The building is also close to the local office of the Afghan intelligence service, the National Directorate of Security (NDS).
A doctor at Kandahar`s main hospital, Mohammad Hashim, said: "We have registered a total of 46 wounded so far, 24 of the wounded are security personnel and the rest are civilians.”
"We also have registered four dead, two civilians and two security personnel." The death toll was given as two on Saturday.
The attacks are the first major incident since the Taliban unveiled the start of its annual spring offensive around a week ago.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said the violence was "revenge" for this week`s killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden by US troops in Pakistan, but the Taliban said the operation was planned several weeks ahead.
A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), Major General James Laster, described it as a "spring offensive spectacular attack which was thwarted".
There are around 130,000 international troops in Afghanistan, two-thirds of them from the United States, battling the Taliban and other insurgents.
Limited withdrawals from seven relatively peaceful areas are due to start in July ahead of the planned end of foreign combat operations in 2014.
International forces say that Kandahar and the surrounding area are now safer following months of intense fighting to clear traditional Taliban strongholds.
But government officials and institutions are still frequently targeted by militants in the city, the biggest in Afghanistan`s south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital