Afghan shooting one of `gravest crimes`: Russia
Moscow: Russia on Monday called the shooting of 16 Afghan villagers by a US soldier one of the worst crimes ever committed during a conflict and said it expected the guilty to be punished severely.
"This inhumane act stands side by side with the gravest crimes committed in the course of armed conflicts," the foreign ministry said in a statement, adding that Russia was "deeply shocked".
"We expect the guilty to suffer severe punishment and the international forces` command to take effective measures aimed at preventing such incidents in the future."
Russia, which has its own painful Soviet-era history in Afghanistan, fears a more permanent US presence in the energy-rich Central Asian region and has only allowed non-combat equipment to cross its territory for NATO forces
The US soldier walked off his base and broke into the homes of villagers in Kandahar province`s Panjwayi district before dawn yesterday, killing 16 people including women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test