`Afghan soil won’t be used to launch attacks post 2014`
Doha: Afghan soil will not be used to launch attacks against any country after foreign troops withdraw, Afghanistan’s Foreign Minister said on Friday.
"Afghan soil will not be used against any country in the region," Zalmai Rassoul said, when asked if the United States would be allowed to continue drone attacks on Pakistan after all foreign combat troops withdraw from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
"The presence of the remaining forces in Afghanistan is for training, equipping and securing Afghanistan`s security. It has been mentioned, it is going to be mentioned, that this force is not for use against any neighbours in the region," Rassoul was quoted as saying by Al-Jazeera in an interview, excerpts of which were received by a news agency today.
The US drone war on Islamist militants in Pakistan is one of the major sticking points in Washington`s relations with Islamabad, which reached their lowest point last year when airstrikes killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November, six months after a covert US raid killed Osama bin Laden.
Pakistan responded by shutting its Afghan border to NATO supplies and evicting US personnel from an air base reportedly used as a hub by US drones.
US President Barack Obama in January confirmed for the first time that US drones target Taliban and al Qaeda militants on Pakistani soil, but American officials do not discuss details of the covert programme.
According to a news agency’s tally, 45 US missile strikes were reported in Pakistan`s tribal belt in 2009, the year Obama took office, 101 in 2010 and 64 in 2011.
The Al-Jazeera interview, in which the Afghan Foreign Minister reiterated his desire to improve long-strained relations with neighbouring Pakistan, is due to be broadcast tomorrow. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly