‘Afghan soldier killed French troops over US video`
Kabul: An Afghan soldier who shot dead four
French troops has said he did it because of a recent video
showing US Marines urinating on the dead bodies of Taliban
insurgents, security sources said.
"During the initial interrogations by French soldiers, he
told them he did it because of the video in which American
soldiers were urinating on bodies," an Afghan army officer
The report was backed by an intelligence source and
another with access to information from the Afghan ministry of
defence, both of whom requested anonymity.
"In his initial confessions, he said that he was strongly
motivated to kill the soldiers when he saw the video of
foreign soldiers urinating on Afghan corpses," the
intelligence source said.
French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said during a
visit to Kabul at the weekend that he had been told the
soldier who killed the four soldiers and wounded 15 others was
a Taliban infiltrator.
But President Hamid Karzai did not make the same
accusation in a statement today, describing the attack as "an
isolated and individual action".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway