Afghan soldier opens fire on NATO partners: Officials
Kabul: An Afghan soldier on Saturday opened fire on his NATO partners in Kabul, wounding a NATO soldier in the latest in a series of "insider" attacks on alliance forces, officials said.
Attacks in which Afghan forces turn their guns on their international partners have killed scores of NATO-led troops, breeding mistrust and undermining efforts to train local forces before NATO combat troops withdraw next year.
"An Afghan army soldier opened fire on NATO troops in Kabul, wounding a NATO soldier on his leg," defence ministry spokesman general Zahir Azimi said.
"The attacker was killed when NATO soldiers returned fire, the incident is under investigation," he said, adding that it happened inside a base.
A NATO spokesman in Kabul confirmed the incident but would not provide more details.
The bulk of around 87,000 US-led NATO troops who are stationed in Afghanistan as part of the war on terror campaign are scheduled to withdraw in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?