Afghan Taliban attack US base near Pakistan border: Officials
Jalalabad: Taliban suicide bombers and gunmen
Afghan police attacked a US base near the Pakistani border Monday,
shootout that left all three assailants dead, officials said.
member of the US-led NATO mission in Afghanistan was killed in the
the base in Nangarhar province, said a spokesman for the International
Assistance Force (ISAF).
were a series of explosions that occurred in the vicinity of a forward
operating base in Nangarhar province," an ISAF spokesman told AFP.
The military later
described it as an "attempted but
unsuccessful coordinated attack by enemy forces".
"There were three enemy
forces killed during the attack.
We can confirm that no ISAF personnel were killed as a result of this
incident," it said in a statement.
photographer saw the bodies of three dead attackers wearing Afghan
NATO combat troops are
gradually withdrawing from Afghanistan
and are due to finish their mission completely by the end of 2014, after
presidential elections next April.
Afghan officials said
today`s attack took place at Torkham,
which borders Pakistan and straddles a key NATO overland supply route
landlocked Afghanistan from the nearest sea port of Karachi.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai,
Nangarhar governor`s spokesman, said
insurgents first attacked NATO supply trucks.
"Today morning, Taliban
insurgents attacked and burned
supply trucks delivering supplies to NATO which belonged to foreign
the US base in Torkham," he told AFP.
"Later, three armed suicide
bombers started gunfire and
clashes with Afghan forces and US forces, and they were killed after
hours of fighting.
"At the moment, the
stand-off is over, and the situation
is under control."
Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban which is leading a 12-year
against Western troops and the Afghan government, claimed responsibility
the attack in a statement sent to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir