Afghan Taliban call for joint probe into civilian deaths
Kabul: The Taliban waging a vicious insurgency in Afghanistan have signalled a willingness to cooperate with international forces, the UN and human rights groups to investigate civilian deaths in the war.
A committee "should be formed to assess the very issue and conduct investigations into the civilian casualties across the country”, the Taliban said in a statement late Sunday.
The probe should include representatives from the Taliban -- calling itself the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan -- NATO forces, the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, and UN human rights organisations, the statement said.
The overwhelming majority of civilian deaths and injuries in the war, nearing the end of its ninth year, have been blamed on the Taliban.
The group relies largely on roadside bombs and suicide attackers, which kill and maim indiscriminately.
Civilian casualties rose by 31 percent in the first six months of 2010, the United Nations said last week, with casualties among children up 55 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra