Afghan Taliban chief providing `useful` information: US
Washington: The captured commander of the Afghan Taliban, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, has passed on "useful" information to interrogators about the militant group, a US official said on Thursday.
"Baradar is indeed providing useful information. He`s sharing insights that are adding to our knowledge of the Afghan Taliban," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
The official, who did not offer more details, spoke after a report in the New York Times said Baradar had shed light on the workings of the Afghan Taliban that could help with a possible negotiated settlement to end the war.
Baradar, arrested in January in a Karachi suburb, had not divulged details of Taliban military operations, information coveted by US and NATO commanders as they pursue a pivotal offensive in Kandahar.
But the second-ranking leader of the Taliban did describe how the group`s leadership shura operates and the role of senior figures in the hierarchy, the Times reported, citing US officials.
Interrogators also had gained a more nuanced perspective on how the Taliban`s top leader, Mullah Muhammad Omar, was approaching negotiations with Afghan President Hamid Karzai`s government, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla