`Afghan Taliban not interested in talks with US`
Islamabad: The Taliban are not ready for talks with the United States, who has been desperately approaching them for reconciliation, Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir has said, citing Taliban sources.
The US has started desperate moves to strike a peace deal with the Taliban after the death of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, and the US media is claiming secret direct and indirect contacts between Taliban and Washington from a long time.
Very few people in media know that neither the top leaders of the Afghan Taliban nor the Pakistani Taliban are interested in talks right now with Kabul or Islamabad because they think that summer is not a “talking season”, Hamid Mir wrote in The News.
“This hot weather is always a “fighting season” for them. The Afghan Taliban killed many US soldiers in the last few days but the US administration is still running after some people who can facilitate their peace talks with the Taliban,” he added.
All the credible Taliban sources close to Mulla Omar are denying media reports about US-Taliban talks appearing in the Western press, saying that Americans are approaching them from right and left, but their approaches do not mean the Taliban are ready for talks.
“Taliban spokesman Zabeehullah Mujahid told me on phone from Afghanistan: “This is just US disinformation they want to create differences within our ranks, on one side they spread the baseless rumour about the death of Ameerul Momineen (Mulla Omar) last week, and on the other side they say Taliban are meeting US officials, this is not true, if they want negotiations then Obama must make a public statement first and accept that US invasion of Afghanistan was wrong”,” Mir said.
He quoted the Taliban spokesman, as adding: “We know Americans have established a $500 million dollars fund to break our foot soldiers, they organised many dramas of our soldiers surrendering weapons in Kandahar but when this drama was failed they are now begging for talks with our leaders.”
“Can US buy Afghan Taliban for $500 million dollars? Why Taliban are not ready for talks right now? Answer is very simple. They do not trust anyone in Kabul, Islamabad and Washington,” Mir said.
Interestingly, Afghan President Hamid Karzai thinks that if Pakistan exerts some pressure on Afghan Taliban then they will definitely start talking, said Mir, adding that Karzai is completely mistaken, and lacks information and understanding of the Afghan Taliban.
“Yes, Pakistan enjoys considerable influence on Haqqani network, which is active in some parts of eastern Afghanistan, but Pakistani strategists have not much influence on the Taliban leaders belonging to south and west of Afghanistan,” he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark