Afghan vote recount would take six weeks: Election Body
Kabul: A ballot recount ordered by a
UN-backed election body in Afghanistan would take one and a
half months to complete, pushing back any second round of
voting, a senior poll official said on Saturday.
The Election Complaints Commission (ECC) has identified
more than 2,500 polling stations out of 24,183 that opened on
August 20 where "clear and convincing" indications of fraud
mean an audit and recount is needed.
While auditing is underway, recounting has not yet
started as the ECC locks horns with the government-appointed
Independent Election Commission (IEC), which organised the
election and has been accused of bias toward incumbent
President Hamid Karzai.
"The concern we raised to the ECC decision is that it
includes all 34 provinces, and it will take at least
one-and-a-half months` time," Daoud Ali Najafi, IEC chief
electoral officer, said.
"That`s too long and if we have a run-off, then it is too
late," he said.
With all the votes counted, Karzai looks on track for
re-election with nearly 55 percent of the vote while his
nearest rival Abdullah Abdullah is trailing with 27.8 percent. Turnout was a meagre 38.7 percent.
But if a large number of ballots are thrown out by any
ECC investigation, it could push Karzai`s lead to below the
required 50 percent plus one vote, triggering a run-off with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened