Kabul: A string of attacks across Afghanistan
has killed 10, including three NATO service members and five
Afghan policemen, officials said Wednesday.
A suicide car bomber blew himself up in the afternoon at
a bazaar in Khost province in the country`s east, killing a
policeman and an Afghan soldier, provincial police chief Abdul
Hakim Eshaqzai said. Four others were injured in the attack in
the Dwa Mandala district.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the insurgent
group was responsible for the attack, which targeted
foreigners. He said 14 people were killed and nine others were
wounded, but the Taliban regularly exaggerate casualties
caused by their attacks.
In the north, four policemen were killed in an ambush
Tuesday night as they were driving through Imam Sahib district
along the border with Tajikistan, said Muhbobullah Sayedi, a
spokesman for the governor Kunduz province. Violence is on the
rise in northern Afghanistan, where pockets of Taliban
insurgents are increasingly targeting government workers.
NATO today confirmed the deaths of three coalition
service members. Two died in the south, one in a bomb blast
yesterday and another during an insurgent attack today. The
third coalition service member died in fighting in the east.
So far this year, 625 US and international troops have
died in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, at least one de-miner was killed and another
was wounded this morning in Chaparhar district of Nangarhar
province when the de-mining team`s vehicle hit a roadside
bomb, officials from the province said.