Afghanistan: 4 children killed in roadside bombing
Kabul: Four children were killed and a man was wounded in a roadside bombing in eastern Afghan province of Paktika late Tuesday, a provincial government spokesman said on Wednesday morning.
"A civilian car ran over a roadside bomb in Kharbin area of Yousuf Khil district at around 6 pm local time Tuesday and the blast killed four innocent children and injured a man," spokesman Mokhlis Afghan told Xinhua.
In a separate incident, a woman and her four children were injured when a rocket fired by Taliban insurgents hit a house in Saultano area of Sar Hawza district in Paktika province also on Tuesday evening, he said.
In another development, 11 civilian workers were injured in a grenade attack near the entrance of a US and NATO military base in Khost city, the capital of neighbouring Khost province earlier Wednesday, a police source said.
"The workers were waiting for access to the base but a man hurled a grenade and the injured were shifted to a provincial capital hospital where two of the injured were in critical conditions," the source told Xinhua.
Violence has been on the rise since Taliban launched an annual spring offensive on May 03.
The Taliban insurgent group has warned the civilians to stay away from official gatherings, military convoys and centres regarded as the legitimate targets by militants besides warning people against supporting government and foreign troops.
Up to 60 people were killed and 160 others injured in a coordinated suicide attack in southwestern Nimroz and in a motorbike bomb explosion in northern Kunduz province on Tuesday.
A total of 1,145 civilians were killed and 1,954 injured in conflict -- related violent incidents and attacks in the first six months of 2012, a 15 percent decrease in overall civilian casualties compared with the same period in 2011, according to a UN report released in capital Kabul on August 08.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal