Afghanistan has low hopes from Karzai`s last visit to Pakistan
Islamabad: As Afghan president Hamid Karzai prepares for his upcoming visit to Pakistan to bridge the trust deficit between the two nations; many Afghans do not have high hopes from this visit which will be his last visit as a president.
Karzai cannot run for a third consecutive term in the elections due in nine months and this visit will mark his 16th visit in the past 12 years for peace negotiations.
According to the Express Tribune, Afghan foreign ministry spokesman Janan Mosazai is hopeful the visit will `open a new chapter` in bilateral relations and expects it to have a positive outcome, unlike several visits to Pakistan over the years.
Pakistan`s foreign ministry spokesman said that there will be a substantive agenda for talks with Karzai and the regional and post-2014 situation in Afghanistan will also be discussed.
However, political analysts remain skeptical about this last opportunity to resolve the differences between the two nations.
Analyst Waheed Muzdha, believes that Karzai`s visit will not yield any results if he expects Islamabad to force the Afghan Taliban into holding peace talks adding that Pakistan is in fact making claims of influence over the Taliban to seek privileges from the international community.
Former Afghan minister Dr Farooq Azam also expressed his pessimism over the visit
The report said that the Afghan officials have laid their hopes on Pakistan`s promise to facilitate the peace process and said that Karzai will urge Pakistan to honour their promises.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed