Afghanistan has low hopes from Karzai`s last visit to Pakistan
Islamabad: As Afghan president Hamid Karzai prepares for his upcoming visit to Pakistan to bridge the trust deficit between the two nations; many Afghans do not have high hopes from this visit which will be his last visit as a president.
Karzai cannot run for a third consecutive term in the elections due in nine months and this visit will mark his 16th visit in the past 12 years for peace negotiations.
According to the Express Tribune, Afghan foreign ministry spokesman Janan Mosazai is hopeful the visit will `open a new chapter` in bilateral relations and expects it to have a positive outcome, unlike several visits to Pakistan over the years.
Pakistan`s foreign ministry spokesman said that there will be a substantive agenda for talks with Karzai and the regional and post-2014 situation in Afghanistan will also be discussed.
However, political analysts remain skeptical about this last opportunity to resolve the differences between the two nations.
Analyst Waheed Muzdha, believes that Karzai`s visit will not yield any results if he expects Islamabad to force the Afghan Taliban into holding peace talks adding that Pakistan is in fact making claims of influence over the Taliban to seek privileges from the international community.
Former Afghan minister Dr Farooq Azam also expressed his pessimism over the visit
The report said that the Afghan officials have laid their hopes on Pakistan`s promise to facilitate the peace process and said that Karzai will urge Pakistan to honour their promises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27