Afghanistan makes pitch for heavier weapons
Kabul: The Afghan defence minister is making a pitch to get heavier and more advanced weapons, like jet fighters, to defend against foreign threats.
Abdul Rahim Wardak told reporters today that the billions of dollars in weapons that Afghanistan has already received are effective for fighting the Taliban, but that without heavy weapons, Afghanistan would be hard pressed to deal with incursions by military forces that have access to such weapons and equipment.
Afghan Army Chief of Staff Gen Sher Mohammad Karimi says heavier weapons are needed as a deterrent against potential threats from Afghanistan`s neighbours.
Officials with the US-led coalition have said that the billions of dollars in equipment pledged and delivered to the Afghan national security forces is adequate for what they need and can maintain right now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!