Afghanistan orders ban on private security firms
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai issued a decree on Tuesday setting a deadline of four months to disband private security companies despite concerns by Washington over the plan.
The Pentagon called the deadline "very challenging" but said the United States would work with the Afghan government and seek to improve oversight and management of private security firms, long an irritant to Afghans.
"Obviously that is a very aggressive timeline and one which I think our forces and commanders as well as the State Department and (U.S.) ambassador will be working with the government of Afghanistan to achieve," Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters.
The U.S. Embassy in Kabul said it supported the Afghan government`s intention to regulate such firms properly. "There are questions of implementation, however," embassy spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement.
The decree said the private security firms were being banned to avoid the misuse of weapons which had caused "horrific and tragic incidents."
It was issued just hours after Karzai met influential U.S. Senator John Kerry, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Kerry said before the decree was issued that he agreed it was in Afghanistan`s interests not to have "a whole bunch" of private security firms and that Karzai`s concerns were legitimate, although a reasonable timeframe was "up for grabs."
Such firms employ up to 40,000 people working mainly for Western enterprises in Afghanistan, as well as the U.S. military guarding checkpoints and other roles. There were 52 licensed private security firms operating in Afghanistan, Hayden said, and "numerous others" unlicensed.
"We are still gathering information about how this decree would affect the United States and companies with whom we have contracts," she said.
The decree includes an exemption for firms whose guards work inside compounds used by foreign embassies and international businesses and aid and charitable organizations, even though Karzai`s office said last week there would be no exceptions.
Firms being disbanded either could sell their weapons to the Afghan government or take the equipment with them as they leave if the companies were properly registered. Unregistered firms would have their weapons confiscated, it said.
The visas of their employees would also be terminated.
Karzai, whose government faces September 18 parliamentary elections, has been trying to assert his independence from his Western backers and stepped up criticism of the firms last week, saying they were too costly and were "daily creating miseries."
The ban`s swiftness appeared to catch some by surprise, especially as it was issued so soon after Karzai met Kerry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'