Afghanistan: Rabbani’s son is Peace Council head
Kabul: Afghanistan`s government on Saturday appointed Salahuddin Rabbani, the son of slain Peace Council chief Burhanuddin Rabbani, to replace his father and lead the country`s High Peace Council charged with reaching out to Taliban insurgents.
Former president Burhanuddin Rabbani was assassinated in September last year by an insurgent carrying a bomb hidden in a turban, a major setback to reconciliation efforts with the Afghan Taliban and exploratory moves towards peace talks.
Salahuddin Rabbani is currently Afghanistan`s ambassador to Turkey.
- Bachchans, SRK, Salman attend Bipasha-Karan Singh Grover’s wedding reception
- 33 rescued lions arrive in South Africa in airlift
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution