Afghanistan says Pakistanis shot dead in mosque attack
Kabul: Afghanistan`s intelligence agency Thursday said that its spies shot dead two Pakistanis who opened fire on Afghan worshippers before dawn at a Shiite Muslim mosque in Kabul.
"Around 5 am, two Pakistani terrorists in Afghan police uniforms armed with AK-47s and pistols wanted to carry out an attack on Afghan worshippers in west Kabul," it said in a statement.
"Fortunately, the two terrorists were shot dead by Afghan intelligence forces in an exchange of fire," it added.
Three Afghan worshippers were wounded by the Pakistanis and taken to hospital, the statement added.
Afghan officials often accuse the Pakistani government and its intelligence agents of sheltering insurgents and supporting them in attacks in Afghanistan -- allegations that Pakistan denies.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai last week spent two days in Pakistan, asking the new Pakistani government to help set up peace talks between his administration and Taliban insurgents.
Around 87,000 US-led NATO troops are to leave Afghanistan next year, putting Afghan forces in charge of nationwide security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’