Afghanistan still faces existential terror threat: Krishna
Tokyo: Hinting at Pakistan-based terror safe havens, India on Sunday said Afghanistan still faced an "existential threat" from terrorism emanating from beyond its borders and asked the word community to provide substantial assistance to the war-torn country to deal with the menace.
"While we assist Afghanistan in attaining its long-cherished goal of self reliance, we must also acknowledge that despite our successes in Afghanistan, the basic ideological, infrastructural, logistical and financial infrastructure of terror is still intact in the region," External Affair Minister SM Krishna said.
Addressing the Tokyo Conference on Afghanistan, he said, "Afghanistan continues to be a country that faces an existential threat from terrorism emanating from beyond its borders - a threat that it is fighting every day, and that it is ill-equipped to repel in the absence of substantial assistance from the international community."
The minister`s comments came as Afghanistan continued to face attacks from terror safe havens in neighbouring Pakistan.
The Tokyo meet is being attended by around 70 countries and international bodies. Its main aim is to ensure sustainable development of Afghanistan beyond 2012 and reaffirming partnership between the international community and the Afghan Government until 2014 and during the transformation decade (2015-2024).
"Clear and visible support to Afghanistan is crucial in order to preserve the gains made by the international community and Afghan men and women in the past decade," Krishna said and asked the international community to avoid temptation to lay down "conditionalities" on such assistance.
India, Krishna said, believes that "good governance is crucial to the building of a strong and legitimate state. But good governance also requires a strong state that has full control over its territory. This is not yet the case in Afghanistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre