Afghanistan: Suicide attack on NATO patrol kills 4
Kabul: A suicide attack hit a NATO patrol in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing three coalition service members, the international military force said, while Afghan officials added that a civilian was also killed in the bombing.
Hours later on the other side of the country, a roadside bomb hit a bus, killing at least three people, a witness said. Many wounded passengers were trapped in the bus by a fierce battle between insurgents and Afghan police that raged most of the day.
The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for the bombing of the NATO patrol in Kunar province, an eastern stronghold of the insurgency that lies along the volatile border with Pakistan where militants have hideouts.
The attack emphasised the insurgency`s continued ability to wreak violence despite fierce efforts by the Afghan government and international forces to wipe out their leadership.
In Kunar, two attackers wearing suicide vests detonated their explosives as a NATO foot patrol passed by the headquarters of the provincial government, provincial police chief Ewas Mohammad Naziri said.
NATO confirmed that three of its service members were killed in a suicide attack, but did not give any more details, including the nationalities of the troops who were killed. Today`s attack brought to 15 the number of international troops killed so far in August.
At least one Afghan civilian was killed and three were wounded in twin blasts that took place at about 10 am, said Wasifullah Wasify, a spokesman for Kunar`s governor.
He said the bombers struck just outside the government compound in the provincial capital of Asadabad during a meeting of the provincial council. Several foreigners were also in the compound, attending a security briefing.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement that two insurgents drove explosives-laden vehicles into the NATO patrol from opposite directions. He claimed they killed 17 international soldiers. The insurgents typically claim far higher death tolls in their attacks.
The other attack later today took place when a roadside bomb hit a bus in the western province of Farah, killing at least three people, a passenger said. Many of the wounded were unable to get help because of an ongoing battle between insurgents and Afghan police, police and the local health director said.
Insurgents attacked a police checkpoint in Farah province around midday today, and the struggle for the road continued for hours, provincial deputy police chief Mohammad Ghaws Milyar said. He said one militant was killed but police casualties were still unclear because the battle was still ongoing in the late afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read