Afghanistan: Taliban leader, 7 others killed in NATO attack
Kabul: NATO says an airstrike and a raid by ground troops killed a Taliban leader and seven fighters in northern Afghanistan.
An alliance statement on Thursday says Maulawi Jawadullah — accused of organising deadly ambushes, roadside bomb attacks, and abductions of Afghan security forces — was killed in the airstrike. Seven other Taliban also died in the assault on Wednesday in Takhar province. Among them were three who were killed in a gunbattle after they opened fire from a forest after coalition forces moved in.
NATO says Jawadullah was linked to the recent deaths of 10 Afghan National Police officers during an attack on a police station in neighbouring Kunduz province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal