Afghanistan: Taliban leader, 7 others killed in NATO attack
Kabul: NATO says an airstrike and a raid by ground troops killed a Taliban leader and seven fighters in northern Afghanistan.
An alliance statement on Thursday says Maulawi Jawadullah — accused of organising deadly ambushes, roadside bomb attacks, and abductions of Afghan security forces — was killed in the airstrike. Seven other Taliban also died in the assault on Wednesday in Takhar province. Among them were three who were killed in a gunbattle after they opened fire from a forest after coalition forces moved in.
NATO says Jawadullah was linked to the recent deaths of 10 Afghan National Police officers during an attack on a police station in neighbouring Kunduz province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened