Afghanistan’s first female rapper releases debut single
London: A 23-year-old Afghan woman has made history in her conservative country after releasing her first rap song, despite her chosen career angering some of her family members.
Sosan Firooz, through her rap songs, has touched upon hard-hitting subjects including the repression of women and her hopes for a peaceful Afghanistan.
She also raps about her family`s escape to Iran during the Afghan civil war of the 1990s and the hardline Taliban regime`s rise to power, the Daily Mail reports.
Firooz has spoken openly of the misery she felt as a child during a five-year stay in a country in which she claims people looked with disdain on Afghan refugees.
“While we were in Iran, we were called "dirty Afghans" and told to go to the back of the line at the bakery,” said Firooz.
So far, a track from her album ‘Our Neighbours’ has only been released on YouTube, with a video that shows a series of pictures of Firooz posing in a hip-hop style gear, with jeans, dangling chains and bracelets.
According to the paper, in some pictures, she wears a bandana with skulls, but her long hair is not completely covered, a rarity among Afghan women, including the few female singers.
According to the paper, Firooz is still not yet widely known among Afghans, but is breaking with tradition in a very conservative society, where some women do not go outside without wearing burqas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days