Afghanistan’s first female rapper releases debut single
London: A 23-year-old Afghan woman has made history in her conservative country after releasing her first rap song, despite her chosen career angering some of her family members.
Sosan Firooz, through her rap songs, has touched upon hard-hitting subjects including the repression of women and her hopes for a peaceful Afghanistan.
She also raps about her family`s escape to Iran during the Afghan civil war of the 1990s and the hardline Taliban regime`s rise to power, the Daily Mail reports.
Firooz has spoken openly of the misery she felt as a child during a five-year stay in a country in which she claims people looked with disdain on Afghan refugees.
“While we were in Iran, we were called "dirty Afghans" and told to go to the back of the line at the bakery,” said Firooz.
So far, a track from her album ‘Our Neighbours’ has only been released on YouTube, with a video that shows a series of pictures of Firooz posing in a hip-hop style gear, with jeans, dangling chains and bracelets.
According to the paper, in some pictures, she wears a bandana with skulls, but her long hair is not completely covered, a rarity among Afghan women, including the few female singers.
According to the paper, Firooz is still not yet widely known among Afghans, but is breaking with tradition in a very conservative society, where some women do not go outside without wearing burqas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!