Afghanistan`s Karzai urges closure of Guantanamo
Copenhagen: Afghan President Hamid Karzai has pressed for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison as President Barack Obama mulls a renewed push before a reluctant US Congress.
Karzai says he has "from the very beginning been a very strong supporter" of closing down the prison at the US naval base in Cuba, a goal that has eluded Obama since he took office. Obama signed an executive order for its closure, but Congress has used its budgetary power to block detainees from being moved to the United States.
Karzai said during a visit to Denmark today that he also wants the release and return of Afghan prisoners in Guantanamo.
The Afghan leader was speaking on the third leg of a visit that also took him to Finland and Estonia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief