Afghanistan`s Karzai urges closure of Guantanamo
Copenhagen: Afghan President Hamid Karzai has pressed for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison as President Barack Obama mulls a renewed push before a reluctant US Congress.
Karzai says he has "from the very beginning been a very strong supporter" of closing down the prison at the US naval base in Cuba, a goal that has eluded Obama since he took office. Obama signed an executive order for its closure, but Congress has used its budgetary power to block detainees from being moved to the United States.
Karzai said during a visit to Denmark today that he also wants the release and return of Afghan prisoners in Guantanamo.
The Afghan leader was speaking on the third leg of a visit that also took him to Finland and Estonia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!