Afghan`s Karzai not seen meeting US deadline on security deal: Report
Washington: US efforts to persuade Afghan President Hamid Karzai to sign a long-term security agreement according to Washington`s timetable will likely fail, the lead American negotiator has warned the Obama administration, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.
In a classified cable that the Post said was transmitted in recent days, US Ambassador James Cunningham wrote that he did not think Karzai would agree to sign the agreement before Afghanistan`s presidential election in April, the newspaper said, citing US officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Relations between the two countries are already near breaking point over Karzai`s refusal to sign the security deal to shape the US military presence after most foreign troops leave this year.
The United States wants the Afghanistan government to sign the agreement in matter of weeks if a contingent of US troops is to remain there after 2014, the White House said on Monday.
Without a deal, the United States could pull out all troops, the "zero option," leaving Afghan forces to battle the Taliban on their own.
Karzai has called that an empty threat and suggested any security deal could wait until after the April elections.
The United States has 46,000 troops in Afghanistan, but that figure is set to fall to 34,000 by early 2014.
In a another move likely to strain US-Afghan ties, a spokesman for Karzai said on Thursday that Afghanistan had enough evidence to try only 16 of 88 prisoners the United States considers a threat to security and plans to free the remaining detainees.
Washington strongly opposes their release because it says the prisoners being held in Afghanistan have been involved in the wounding or killing of US and coalition troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers