Afghans will take lead for security across country soon: Obama
Washington: Expressing satisfaction over the security transition in Afghanistan, US President Barack Obama on Monday said the Afghan forces will take the lead for security across the country soon.
"As planned, Afghan forces will take the lead for security across the country soon, this spring. US, British and coalition forces will move into a support role," Obama said.
The US President made the remark at a joint press conference with visiting British Prime Minister David Cameron.
"Our troops will continue to come home and the war will end by the end of next year, even as we work with our Afghan partners to make sure that Afghanistan is never again a haven for terrorists who would attack our nations," Obama said.
Afghanistan was one of the major topics of discussion between the two leaders. "We reviewed progress in Afghanistan, where our troops continue to serve with extraordinary courage alongside each other," he said.
Obama commends Cameron for his efforts to encourage greater dialogue between Afghanistan and Pakistan, which he said is critical to regional security.
Cameron said the British and US forces are working to make Afghanistan a safer place.
"In Afghanistan, our armed forces are together defending the stability that will make us all safer," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh