After troops’ death, French minister flies into Kabul
Kabul: France`s defence minister arrived in Kabul on Saturday for top-level talks as Paris warned it could accelerate its withdrawal from the 10-year war after an Afghan
soldier shot dead four French soldiers.
Gerard Longuet`s plane touched down at 9:30 am (1030 IST) and the minister briefly met 12 of the French soldiers wounded in yesterday`s attack before a plane took off to repatriate them for treatment, a reporter said.
"Some of them are in a life-threatening condition and one of them could die in the short term," said chief doctor Christophe, who in keeping with French military policy was not at liberty to release his second name.
The French minister is due to hold talks with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the Afghan defence and interior ministers, and General John Allen, the American commander of the NATO force in Afghanistan.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy has ordered Longuet and French Chief of Defence staff Admiral Edouard Guillaud to investigate yesterday`s attack and evaluate the dangers facing the French mission responsible for training Afghan troops.
The basis of Longuet`s report will determine whether Paris decides to recall its military contingent earlier than the end-2014 date already announced.
Nineteen unarmed French soldiers were killed or wounded when an Afghan soldier opened fire as they finished a work-out session on a training base in Kapisa in eastern Afghanistan.
Sarkozy immediately suspended French military training and joint combat operations with Afghan troops.
The French role in the NATO-led mission is deeply unpopular at home and -- less than 100 days before Presidential Elections -- Sarkozy appears to be preparing the ground for a rapid withdrawal.
The French force currently in Afghanistan will be reduced to 3,000 by late 2012, with 200 due to leave in March. NATO is due to hand security over to Afghan forces before withdrawing all its combat troops by the end of 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!