Ahmadi sect member killed in Pakistan
Lahore: A man belonging to the minority Ahmadi sect was shot and killed outside his house in this eastern Pakistani city, police said on Wednesday.
Jawad Karim, a 32-year-old father of two, was leaving his house in Green Town to meet his wife at her medical clinic when two unidentified men arrived on a bike and opened fire at him yesterday.
Karim was killed instantly, police officials said.
Salimuddin, a spokesman for the Jamaat Ahmadiya, said Karim had no enmity with anyone.
He described the incident as a "targeted killing" and said Karim had been receiving threats for religious extremists.
"Karim was an active member of the Jamaat Ahmadiya and he was killed because of his faith," Salimuddin said.
Ahmadis, especially those living in Lahore, were being targeted because of their faith, he said.
The Ahmadi community boycotted Pakistan’s general election on May 11 to protest discrimination against its members.
Pakistan’s Ahmadis consider themselves Muslim but were declared non-Muslims through a constitutional amendment in 1974.
A decade later, they were barred from proselytising or identifying themselves as Muslims.
Some 1.5 million Ahmadis live across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!