Aid to Pak flood victims may come to halt: UN

Only 18 percent of funding requirements have been received so far, said UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Updated: Oct 16, 2011, 10:11 AM IST

Islamabad: The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has warned that assistance to over 8.9 million people affected by floods in Sindh and Balochistan may come to a halt in November after depletion of relief supplies by the end of this month.

Only 18 percent of the funding requirements have been received so far – USD 64.5 million of the USD 357 million requested in the Rapid Response Plan launched last month, the Dawn quoted OCHA, as saying in its latest situation report on Saturday.

Access to the affected areas is improving as the water is receding, the report said, but noted that relief efforts remain hampered by funding constraints.

Given the current funding, water, sanitation and hygiene supplies may only be available for just under a month, it warned.

Emergency shelter supplies have been estimated to last three weeks and food stocks will be available until the end of October.

A rapid protection assessment has identified several issues, including restricted access to available assistance for vulnerable groups, lack of female-friendly space, violence against women and the presence of unaccompanied children, the report said.

The assessment revealed that three million people were in need of immediate food assistance in Sindh and Balochistan with reports of high level of child malnutrition.

Access to safe drinking water and sanitation facilities remains a critical issue, the report said.

The unavailability of female hygiene kits, undergarments, emergency lights and separate toilets and bathing facilities for women and girls has been identified as exacerbating their vulnerability, it added.