Ailing Pak woman sells only child for Rs 1.2 lakh
Lahore: A poor woman from Punjab province has sold her seven-month-old son to an expatriate Pakistani family for Rs 1.2 lakh to meet the cost of her medical treatment, prompting police to act against both parties.
The incident occurred in Gujranwala district, 80 km from Lahore.
Khalida Bibi, who is suffering from cardiac and liver ailments, sold her son Faizan yesterday for Rs 1.2 lakh to Mohammad Shaukat, who works in UAE.
"I had no money for my treatment and so I decided to sell my only child," Khalida told reporters.
As the news broke on TV channels, police rushed to stop the illegal deal between Khalida and Shaukat and took them both into custody.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai