Airstrikes kill 40 militants in northwest Pakistan
Peshawar: Helicopter gunships pounded
Taliban positions in Pakistan`s northwestern tribal region on Sunday killing at least 40 insurgents, and injuring 10 others
as they destroyed seven militant hideouts.
The Taliban meanwhile freed 50 of the 60 people
kidnapped a day earlier in the adjoining Kurram tribal agency.
A security official in Orakzai said the gunship helis
targeted four rebel hideouts in Dabori, Wali Kamar, and Gujar
Kalay, believed to be used as a preparing ground for attacks
on security forces.
"All positions were engaged and destroyed
effectively", said the security official on condition of
Major Fazal-ur-Rehman, a spokesman of paramilitary
Frontier Corps, that is spearheading the offensive on Taliban
and al Qaeda in the lawless tribal region, confirmed the
Reports said 40 militants died in two rounds of
shelling in the same areas.
Pakistani troops moved into Orakzai in March to quell
the insurgency. The military claims it has killed more than
700 militants since then, while losing 18 soldiers.
Meanwhile, 50 people kidnapped by Taliban militants
from the adjoining Kurram district, have been set free.
Sixty people were kidnapped by dozens of militants who
appeared dressed as policemen.
Khalid Omarzai, Commisioner Kohat Division, said
efforts were underway to gain the release of the other 10
people still held.
Omarzai claimed the rebels released the captives
The military is also conducting an operation against
militants in Kurram agency, which has been a scene of bloody
clashes between Shiite and Sunni tribesmen as well as a rising
Sunni tribesmen usually get support from the Taliban.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India