Ajmer shrine receives Zardari`s $1 mn donation
Ajmer: Four months after visiting Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari announced USD 1 million donation for Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti`s shrine here, the shrine authorities finally received the money from a Pakistan delegation on Friday evening, shrine officials said.
The money was paid by a delegation of Pakistan High Commission at a government circuit house in the town, some 150 km from Jaipur, they added.
Zardari had offered prayers at the revered shrine in Ajmer on April 08 and announced the donation.
He was accompanied by his son Bilawal, who had earlier visited the shrine in 2003. The shrine`s administrators had described the donation as one of the biggest in recent years.
A six member-team of Pakistan High Commission had arrived at Ajmer on Friday morning, a member of the shrine`s Anjuman committee, which comprises khadims (servitors) of the dargah, told a news agency.
"A closed door meeting between members of the Pakistan delegation and Anjuman committee was held for three hours. There was some dispute among the shrine authorities about distribution of the money among various committees involved in shrine`s regular affairs," a source said.
However, the issue was resolved and the money was handed over to the shrine authorities in the evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened