Al Qaeda chief al-Zawahiri is in Pak: Hillary
Kolkata: Al Qaeda`s new chief Ayman al-Zawahiri is in Pakistan, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said here on Monday.
Egyptian cleric al-Zawahri took over the organisation after Osama bin Laden`s killing on May 02 last year by US Navy SEALs in Pakistan`s Abbottabad town.
Hillary Clinton said: "We want to disable al Qaeda. We believe Zawahiri is in Pakistan."
Speaking at an interaction, she said: "You have to go over those who are trying to kill you. You have to be focused on that."
Referring to the 2008 Mumbai terror attack in which 166 people, including foreigners, were killed by 10 terrorists from Pakistan, Hillary Clinton said that she had authorised an award for Hafiz Saeed who was responsible for attacks in Mumbai.
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Toiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the Mumbai terror attacks. The US last month announced an award of up to USD 10 million for information leading to arrest and conviction of Saeed and USD 2 million for Hafiz Adbul Rahman Makki, under the Rewards for Justice programme, for information on the two terrorists.
"It may take longer than we like but we will stand with you and trying to make that happen," she added.
Hillary Clinton is in India on a three-day trip that began on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir