Al Qaeda commanders killed in US strikes: Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistani officials say al Qaeda`s operations chief in Pakistan and an Uzbek operative are believed to have been killed in American missile strikes in the northwest of the country earlier this month.
An intelligence officer and a senior government official said on Thursday that operations chief Ilyas Kashmiri was believed killed in an attack on September 7 in North Waziristan.
They said a strike on September 14 is suspected to have killed the Uzbek, named Nazimuddin, but who also was known as Yahyo.
They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media about the topic.
A US counterterrorism official said last week Kashmiri was in charge of al Qaeda`s paramilitary operations in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj