Al Qaeda commanders killed in US strikes: Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistani officials say al Qaeda`s operations chief in Pakistan and an Uzbek operative are believed to have been killed in American missile strikes in the northwest of the country earlier this month.
An intelligence officer and a senior government official said on Thursday that operations chief Ilyas Kashmiri was believed killed in an attack on September 7 in North Waziristan.
They said a strike on September 14 is suspected to have killed the Uzbek, named Nazimuddin, but who also was known as Yahyo.
They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media about the topic.
A US counterterrorism official said last week Kashmiri was in charge of al Qaeda`s paramilitary operations in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?