‘Al Qaeda gave millions to ISI to bribe Pak leaders’
Lahore: In a startling revelation, former Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) director Malik Mumtaz has disclosed that al Qaeda had given millions of rupees to the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to destabilise the Benazir Bhutto’s government in 1988.
Mumtaz claimed that ISI had hatched a massive conspiracy involving former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, former ISI chief General (retired) Asad Durrani, Brigadier (retired) Imtiaz and Major (retired) Amir to overthrow the Bhutto government.
He said Osama bin Laden was behind the conspiracy and had paid millions of dollars to the ISI, The Daily Times reports.
In an interview with a private television, Mumtaz said one of his close friends had told him that the ISI was in the look out for Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) legislators who would change side and join the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N).
When asked whether he was too a part of the conspiracy, Mumtaz said he instead informed the PPP leadership about the plot.
Meanwhile, the PML-N Information Secretary Ahsan Iqbal has rejected the allegations, saying the party never received any money from the intelligence agency.
Iqbal said that such claims were a part of maligning the PML-N leadership.
PML-N leader Khwaja Asif has also rejected reports that the ISI had paid millions to politicians, including party chief Nawaz Sharif.
Talking to private television channel, Asif termed the allegations as a “film based on an obsolete script”.
Asif said PML-N has faced many such allegations in the past and come out of it successfully.
“We are not afraid of such blame games and are ready to face them,” The Daily Times quoted Asif, as saying.
Former director general of Intelligence Bureau (IB) Brigadier (retired) Imtiaz also rejected the allegations.
He said the charges were completely false and it was a handiwork of some ‘mysterious elements’ within the PPP who were trying to destabilise the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees