‘Al Qaeda gave millions to ISI to bribe Pak leaders’
Lahore: In a startling revelation, former Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) director Malik Mumtaz has disclosed that al Qaeda had given millions of rupees to the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to destabilise the Benazir Bhutto’s government in 1988.
Mumtaz claimed that ISI had hatched a massive conspiracy involving former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, former ISI chief General (retired) Asad Durrani, Brigadier (retired) Imtiaz and Major (retired) Amir to overthrow the Bhutto government.
He said Osama bin Laden was behind the conspiracy and had paid millions of dollars to the ISI, The Daily Times reports.
In an interview with a private television, Mumtaz said one of his close friends had told him that the ISI was in the look out for Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) legislators who would change side and join the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N).
When asked whether he was too a part of the conspiracy, Mumtaz said he instead informed the PPP leadership about the plot.
Meanwhile, the PML-N Information Secretary Ahsan Iqbal has rejected the allegations, saying the party never received any money from the intelligence agency.
Iqbal said that such claims were a part of maligning the PML-N leadership.
PML-N leader Khwaja Asif has also rejected reports that the ISI had paid millions to politicians, including party chief Nawaz Sharif.
Talking to private television channel, Asif termed the allegations as a “film based on an obsolete script”.
Asif said PML-N has faced many such allegations in the past and come out of it successfully.
“We are not afraid of such blame games and are ready to face them,” The Daily Times quoted Asif, as saying.
Former director general of Intelligence Bureau (IB) Brigadier (retired) Imtiaz also rejected the allegations.
He said the charges were completely false and it was a handiwork of some ‘mysterious elements’ within the PPP who were trying to destabilise the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing