Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri in Pakistan: Pentagon
Islamabad: Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri is still in Pakistan, a Pentagon official said Wednesday, following the release of a video in which Osama bin Laden`s successor blasts the United States.
"We have no information to indicate that he is anywhere else than in Pakistan," Pentagon spokesman George Little said.
Zawahiri, a veteran Egyptian militant and long-time al Qaeda number two, took over the jihadist network after bin Laden was killed in a clandestine raid by US Navy commandos in Pakistan on May 2.
Like his slain Saudi-born co-conspirator, Zawahiri has been in hiding since the United States declared a "war on terror" after the September 11, 2001 attacks, and invaded Afghanistan whose Taliban leaders had harbored bin Laden.
Zawahiri -- in the 62-minute video entitled "The Dawn of Imminent Victory," and which featured a speech by bin Laden -- said he was praying this year`s Arab Spring would be followed by a "gloomy, bitter-cold American winter."
"The popular revolutions, he stated, are a form of defeat for the United States, just as the 9/11 attacks and its alleged lack of success in Afghanistan and Iraq were also defeats," the US monitoring service SITE said.
Zawahiri was only shown in a still picture in the video, which was released by al Qaeda`s media arm, as-Sahab, and posted on jihadist websites on Monday.
The Pentagon said the footage of bin Laden in the video appeared to be the same material found in the US raid on his Pakistan hideout in May, which Washington released but without its soundtrack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’