‘All that Pak Govt does is just window dressing’
Islamabad: There is no dearth of law enforcers in Balochistan, yet Pakistan’s largest province is seething with violence with the federal government only doing ‘window dressing’ to end it, an editorial has said.
The government has evaded answering burning issues like where development funds are being used to endure peace and security.
According to the Daily Times editorial, there are three forces operating in Balochistan that manage law and order: police, the Levies, and the Frontier Corps (FC), and all of them have proved to be inefficient in stopping violence in the province.
The editorial accused the Frontier Cops of practising what it termed a kill and dump policy, while killing 18 non-Balochis, in Turbat on Friday.
In another incident, Maulana Muhammad Qasim, a Sunni cleric, was shot down outside his home. Nobody has so far claimed responsibly for both crimes, but a sectarian or ethnic colour cannot be ruled out.
So the question arises why, knowing the restiveness of the province, the law enforcement agencies have not been able to provide adequate security, the editorial points out.
The saga of missing persons falls in the same category of nonchalant behaviour of the law enforcers in the province and it has been proved that the FC has been abducting and killing people, yet there is no action against even a single FC officer or soldier.
Over 400 Shia Hazaras have been killed in more than 200 incidents in the last four years, and there is no end in sight to this macabre. There have also been no steps taken so far against Malik Ishaq, the chief of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi for his organization’s open involvement in the killing of Hazara Shias.
All these loopholes suggest either deliberate neglect or just plain incompetence, and it seems as if the Baloch Government is the ultimate loser in the face of rising criminality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees