Allow humanitarian access to IDP camps in SL: US lawmakers
Washington: US lawmakers have urged the
Rajapaksa government to allow robust humanitarian access to
the displaced persons camp in Sri Lanka.
Introducing a resolution to this effect in the House of
Representative, Congressman Howard Berman, said in a speech on
the floor of the House yesterday that the Sri Lankan
Government must provide the international community with a
transparent and implementable road map for the release of the
This resolution calls upon the Sri Lanka to expeditiously
release its internally displaced Tamil population from
military-guarded camps and begin the process of political
"While the US and the international community welcome the
end to this bloody war and congratulate the Government of Sri
Lanka on its military victory, it is now time for the
government to accelerate the process of releasing the hundreds
of thousands of ethnic Tamils from the squalor camps where
they have been confined," Berman said.
For the safety of its own citizens who seek a return to
normalcy, Sri Lanka should turn the camps over to proper
civilian authorities and allow frequent, unconditional, and
uninhibited access to the United Nations, the International
Committee on the Red Cross, and other aid groups.
Berman is Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway