American detained in Peshawar
Peshawar: Pakistani security and
intelligence operatives detained a US national in this
northwestern city on Monday for not possessing valid travel
documents and took him to an undisclosed location for
interrogation, officials said.
The American, identified as Aaron deHaven, was
detained in the posh University Town area of Peshawar, the
capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
A First Information Report was registered against him
in a police station under the Foreigners Act, officials said.
TV news channels reported that the American was
detained as he was acting in a suspicious manner.
The American worked as a security guard for
foreigners in Peshawar, Geo News channel reported.
The American`s visa had expired in October last
year, Express 24/7 channel reported.
Dehaven was married to a Pakistani woman and owned a
house that he had transferred to her.
He had also applied for Pakistani nationality, the
The development came at a time when US-Pakistan
relations have plunged to a new low over the arrest of CIA
contractor Raymond Davis after he shot and killed two armed
men in Lahore last month.
In a brief statement, the US Embassy said late tonight
that it had seen media reports about an American named Aaron
Mark DeHaven being detained by police in Peshawar.
"We are arranging consular access through the
government of Pakistan. Until a US government representative
meets with him, we cannot confirm additional details," said
Embassy spokesperson Courtney Beale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm