American detained in Peshawar
Peshawar: Pakistani security and
intelligence operatives detained a US national in this
northwestern city on Monday for not possessing valid travel
documents and took him to an undisclosed location for
interrogation, officials said.
The American, identified as Aaron deHaven, was
detained in the posh University Town area of Peshawar, the
capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
A First Information Report was registered against him
in a police station under the Foreigners Act, officials said.
TV news channels reported that the American was
detained as he was acting in a suspicious manner.
The American worked as a security guard for
foreigners in Peshawar, Geo News channel reported.
The American`s visa had expired in October last
year, Express 24/7 channel reported.
Dehaven was married to a Pakistani woman and owned a
house that he had transferred to her.
He had also applied for Pakistani nationality, the
The development came at a time when US-Pakistan
relations have plunged to a new low over the arrest of CIA
contractor Raymond Davis after he shot and killed two armed
men in Lahore last month.
In a brief statement, the US Embassy said late tonight
that it had seen media reports about an American named Aaron
Mark DeHaven being detained by police in Peshawar.
"We are arranging consular access through the
government of Pakistan. Until a US government representative
meets with him, we cannot confirm additional details," said
Embassy spokesperson Courtney Beale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers