American detained in Peshawar
Peshawar: Pakistani security and
intelligence operatives detained a US national in this
northwestern city on Monday for not possessing valid travel
documents and took him to an undisclosed location for
interrogation, officials said.
The American, identified as Aaron deHaven, was
detained in the posh University Town area of Peshawar, the
capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
A First Information Report was registered against him
in a police station under the Foreigners Act, officials said.
TV news channels reported that the American was
detained as he was acting in a suspicious manner.
The American worked as a security guard for
foreigners in Peshawar, Geo News channel reported.
The American`s visa had expired in October last
year, Express 24/7 channel reported.
Dehaven was married to a Pakistani woman and owned a
house that he had transferred to her.
He had also applied for Pakistani nationality, the
The development came at a time when US-Pakistan
relations have plunged to a new low over the arrest of CIA
contractor Raymond Davis after he shot and killed two armed
men in Lahore last month.
In a brief statement, the US Embassy said late tonight
that it had seen media reports about an American named Aaron
Mark DeHaven being detained by police in Peshawar.
"We are arranging consular access through the
government of Pakistan. Until a US government representative
meets with him, we cannot confirm additional details," said
Embassy spokesperson Courtney Beale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray